[Bug] Unable to use a script as writing system in transifex

Hi transifixers,

There’s a bug in transifex platform that affect to use a specific script and see below details about how to reproduce it.

Problem: Due that reason we cannot use transifex for translate any projects well hosted in this platform. there’s no problem for some words but rest of words i usually type in browser address bar or text editor then copy and paste to transifex

System: Ubuntu 20.04.2
Language: Sinhala (si)
Browser: Chromium 94.0.4595.0 (Official Build) snap (64-bit)
Install Chromium on Linux | Snap Store | sudo snap install chromium --edge
Writing system: Sinhala script
Steps to enable: Settings → Region & Language → Input sources → + → Sinhala → Sinhala (wijesekara (m17n))

Steps to reproduce
May be you don’t know how to write any word using that writing system so below i provide step by step instruction about type some affected words using english keyboard keys.

Furthermore, that unable to type words in transifex editor are able type well in this discourse topic description without any problem and other translation platforms.

Example: Device → උපාංගය (pron: upaangaya) | shift-w + m + d + x + . + h
(Above showed about non-affected word, means it can type in translation editor then when you continue type something it must appear as showed without stuck or failures)

Unable to type words.

1. Anonymously → නිර්නාමිකව | pron: nirnaamikawa)
    k + s + r + a + k + d + u + s + l + j
  2. Connection → සම්බන්ධතාවය | pron: sambandathaawaya
    i + u + a + n + k + a + shift-o + ; + d + j + h
  3. Allow → ඉඩදෙනවා | pron: idadenawaa
    b + v + f + o + k + j + d
  4. Encryption → සංකේතාංකනය pron: sankeethaankanaya
    i + x + f + l + a + ; + d + x + l + k + h

Hi @helabasa ,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with this detailed description and report this issue.

We have created a ticket in our backlog in order to investigate this further.

We will keep you posted on any new developments.

In the meantime, can you please let us know if using a different browser works just to confirm if it’s Chromium related issue or not?

Thank you in advance.

Hi there,

In the meantime, can you please let us know if using a different browser works just to confirm if it’s Chromium related issue or not?

I use brave, vivaldi etc except to chromium and those are chromium based but that is transifex problem, not browser related issue. If you read above details carefully then you can find below contents

words i usually type in browser address bar or text editor then copy and paste to transifex

browser address bar means the GUI widget that shows the current URL eg: https://community.transifex.com/

are able type well in this discourse topic description without any problem and other translation platforms.

• this discourse topic description means above topic description and transifex use discourse software to run this community site.
  • other translation platforms eg: crowdin, glotpress etc.

Good day

Hi @helabasa ,

Thank you for providing us with additional information.

This is definitely something we will investigate further and try to address. I just wanted to confirm if this behaviour affects one browser and if a different browser could be used as a workaround until we have a solution for the issue you are facing.

Thank you once again for your time and information you shared already.

As soon as we have further updates on this, we will definitely let you know.

Regards,
Nina

It’s already 2 months, isn’t it possible to share ETA? @nina
we can’t use transifex due that reason (offline procedure quite uncomfortable)
as mentioned, we don’t have this problem with any other platform

Hi @helabasa,

Thank you for following up on this.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide you with an ETA of when the fixes will be available but I will do my best in order to get an update on this.

I will definitely keep you posted on any developments and update you on our progress.

Hoping for your kind understanding on this matter.

Hi @helabasa,

We have been trying to reproduce this issue without any success; we’ve tried using both a Windows machine as well as a MacBook. Is this still happening for you?

Regards,
Ryan

Hey @Ryan

I tried to reproduce using windows 10 VM but not possible then I think you need to try a linux machine. See the environment details below as i mentioned above,

Furthermore, this problem only happen on transifex (no other cloud localization sites, other websites, desktop applications etc). See below screenshot, you can see that’s more specific problem with editor box.

System: Ubuntu 20.04.3
Language: Sinhala (si)
Browser: Chromium 98.0.4736.0 (Official Build) snap (64-bit)
Install Chromium on Linux | Snap Store | sudo snap install chromium --edge
Writing system: Sinhala script
Steps to enable: Settings → Region & Language → Input sources → + → Sinhala → Sinhala (wijesekara (m17n))

Unable to type words.

1. Anonymously → නිර්නාමිකව | pron: nirnaamikawa)
    k + s + r + a + k + d + u + s + l + j
  2. Connection → සම්බන්ධතාවය | pron: sambandathaawaya
    i + u + a + n + k + a + shift-o + ; + d + j + h
  3. Allow → ඉඩදෙනවා | pron: idadenawaa
    b + v + f + o + k + j + d
  4. Encryption → සංකේතාංකනය pron: sankeethaankanaya
    i + x + f + l + a + ; + d + x + l + k + h

Thanks for the additional info @helabasa. We are continuing with our investigation, and will let you know once we figure this out…

Best,
Ryan

Hi,

We have identified an issue in a core function of the custom rich editor that we are using. However, we’re not sure yet if changing this will break other things. So, in the meantime, we suggest using the “Toggle accessibility/fallback editor” (ctrl+q) Editor Setting until we find a solution…

Can you please try this and let us know if it could work for you now?

Regards,
Ryan

Yes, that works but it might waste time bit

You can check crowdin, glotpress etc editor because that web-apps works well with sinhala script (and i guess no issues for other scripts too) then it may helpful for get basic idea for good solution

Hi @helabasa. I have updated the ticket we have for this with your latest comment. Hopefully, it will help our developers come up with a solution :crossed_fingers:

Cheers,
Ryan

It seems that’s not fixed yet.

We are curious about this bug. Do you think this bug will affect other softwares that use similar resources? (such as rich editor, libraries, framework or else)? If then, can you provide more details about them? then we can follow particular projects and work to fix root cases.

If transifex doesn’t want to share them in public forum then email me helabasa@pm.me

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, this is not supported at the moment but our team is aware of this request since it was shared back in 2021. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that we will have the resources to tackle it in a short term but for sure we will keep you posted on any further developments on our end.

I hope you understand this.

Kind regards,
Panagiotis

1 Like