Copy translations from one dialect to another?

I’m very new here, translating from ‘en’ (effectively US english), to en_AU.
en_GB already has many translations that would be the same in en_AU or en_NZ. Is there a way to copy these across either singly, or in bulk where there is no existing translation.

BTW I’m “ewblen” on transifex.com

Hi Eliot :wave:

Cool point, it seems it would have been a lot of work to retranslate all the English locales from scratch :scream:

Here is what happens in Transifex. When the TM detects 100% similarity matches automatically populates en_GB TM suggestions to the en_GB locale, en_NZ suggestions to the en_NZ locale, etc. This means that if en_AU suggestions are stored in your project’s TM instance, Translation Memory will automatically populate these translations to the en_AU language only.

There are a couple of workarounds for you to use, in order to manage this issue:

• Once the translations of the en_GB language have been completed, you can download the TMX file from your project, edit it and replace en_GB with en_AU. Then upload the TMX file back to your project. You need to do the same for the other English locales as well.

• Once the translations of the en_GB language have been completed, you can download the translation file and upload it to the other English languages of your project.

Hope this helps :blush:

Have a great day!
Georgia

1 Like

Since writing this I have found where in the advance settings (cogwheel at top right), I can choose to “Display a translation language as source string”.
Then I can use the “Copy translated string” (shift-ctl-g) to copy directly to the translation area for a single item.
Still no obvious way to do many at once.

1 Like