Fallback to base locale instead of source language

Hi, Im pretty sure this question is probably already asked but I searched and couldnt find it.

Basically AFAIK, suppose ur source language is en and u have locales de, de-AT. The german locales fallback to the source language.

Is there a way to specifiy the fallback priority to be like de-AT fallback to de and then en?

Currently we achieve this by downloading the translations and then merging them on our end.

Hi @blessanm86,

Thank you for your post.

I am not 100% sure I’ve completely understood your question, so could you please provide me with more details about what you would like to achieve?

If you would like to see de translations while translating content to de-AT, then this can easily be done by using the setting “Show source string in <target_locale>”. More information about this can be found in our documentation guide here.

Does the above answer your question? If not, then please let me know what I missed and I will be more than happy to provide further clarification :slight_smile:

Hi Nina,

I am referring to when u download the translations.
Like normally when you download de translations, you fallback the empty translations to the source language.

Does that explain the problem

ah, I see now. Thank you for clarifying that.

Unfortunately, filling the empty translations with another target language is not supported.

However, if you find this useful, you can get these strings empty instead via our API using the download mode “onlytranslated”. Please note that this is supported for specific file formats (the list can be found here)

Yes we already do that and do the merging on our end after we download all the locales. It would be a great feature to add on ur side

1 Like

@nina Is there any news on this? It seems like a important feature for a Translation product.

Basically the logic would be: ‘fr-CA’ overwrites keys of ‘fr’, which overwrites keys of ‘en’. This would allow us to only put country specific keys for ‘fr-CA’, and common french traductions in ‘fr’. The ‘en’ fallback is to prevent empty strings if we are missing keys in ‘fr’.

Hello Gab,

Thank you for following up on this request.

As I understand it, you are looking for a feature that, when you download a translation file, allows you to set untranslated strings to be filled up first with existing translations of these strings (in the same language but in a different language local), and if there is no other translation available, to fill them up with the source text. Please let me know if I have understood your request correctly or if there is any additional information you would like to provide. I’ll create a feature request in our product backlog, and if this feature is released in the future, I’ll let you know as soon as it is ready for you to use.

Additionally, you can enable the translation memory fill-up feature if you want to fill up untranslated strings (not only when downloading the translation file) with translations from similar locales. You can read more about it here.

- Sandy

Hi, here an example
There are 3 files:
en (default): { hi: ‘hi’ bye: ‘bye’, thanks: ‘thanks’}
fr: { hi: ‘bonjour’ bye: ‘au revoir’}
fr_CA: { hi: ‘bonjour eh!’}

Fetching fr_CA would result: { hi: ‘bonjour calice!’, bye: ‘au revoir’, thanks: ‘thanks’ }

Merging the language file with the language_REGION file, so only region exception are inside fr_CA, all language strings that are not region specific could be only inside the ‘fr’ file. This would save useless copy/paste of string for all french regions.

Hello Gab,

I have created a new product improvement suggestion and added it to our backlog for review by our development team. Our team will evaluate the feasibility of implementing the feature and prioritize it based on its impact and value to our users.

We understand the importance of this feature to you and we will do our best to include it in our future releases. Once the feature is developed and added to the product, we will inform you promptly so that you can start using it.

Thank you again for your contribution to our product development. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

- Sandy

Any news on your side? :slight_smile:

I did a mistake in the example (mixed ‘eh!’ and ‘calice!’), sorry about that…

Good example:
en (default): { hi: ‘hi’ bye: ‘bye’, thanks: ‘thanks’}
fr: { hi: ‘bonjour’ bye: ‘au revoir’}
fr_CA: { hi: ‘bonjour eh!’}

Fetching fr_CA would result: { hi: ‘bonjour eh!’, bye: ‘au revoir’, thanks: ‘thanks’ }

Hello Gab,

I’ve included your request in our feature request records for the team’s consideration in our roadmap. While I can’t guarantee immediate implementation due to resource constraints, we appreciate your suggestion. I apologize for not resolving this for you now, but we’ll certainly keep it in mind for future updates. Any developments will be communicated here.

- Sandy