Is it possible to revert to a previous translation

Hello,
we’ve currently had an instance of an angry translator who threatened to mess with the project. My question is: In case they do add wrong / malicious translations, could the translation database be restored to a previous state?

Hello Tobbi!

Thank you for writing to us! I hope that nothings happens to your translations, but in case you suspect to lose your translations, you can use the next strategies to protect your translations easily:

I hope the above advices are helpful and your translations remain safe; please let me know if you have any further question or concern.

Best,

- Sandy

If you have regular backups of your database, you can restore it to the state it was in at the time of the last backup. This is a straightforward method for most database systems. Some databases, like MySQL and PostgreSQL, support point-in-time recovery. This allows you to restore the database to a specific point in time by using transaction logs or binary logs. If your translations are stored in a version control system (like Git), you can revert to a previous commit to undo any malicious changes. Some databases offer snapshot features that allow you to take a snapshot of the database at a specific point in time and restore it later if needed.

Hello @benis_froms,

I am Antonis from the Transifex Customer Success team. I hope you’re well!

While what you describe is possible, it’s not as straightforward in practice and is only performed as a last resort, in specific cases. Most important of all it might cause a greater loss of work than it mitigates depending on how big of an impact such a translator might have on your content since a snapshot will not revert just the problematic work but any work done during the timeframe of the incident and the last snapshot.

Preventing such a scenario from taking place is the best course of action by following the strategies Sandy provided.

In addition, you can also set up any of our Git related integrations (GitHub, Bitbucket, GitLab, Azure repos) to basically have your own version control system which will be fully under your control. This way regardless of what happens on Transifex you can always have a way to restore source content or translations.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions I will be happy to discuss it further with you.

Kind regards,

Antonis