Quotes in the translation of a book

If I’m translating a book that quotes sources from the original language, does the translated quote remain in quotation marks or does it become a paraphrase with the footnote number after it? For example:
Orginal quote: C’est noté que « le maire a donné 50 euros au boulanger » ² quand il était à Paris.
Do I keep everything in quotes when I translate the sentence or do I drop the quotes and keep the number for the footnote?

Hello Michelle,

Could you please share which file format and project type you plan to add this string to Transifex? By knowing this, I will be able to share with you the precise interpretation that Transifex will do of this string.

Thank you in advance.

Hello Sandy, it’s in a Word document for a book.

Thank you!

Thank you for the context.

Does the translated quote remain in quotation marks, or does it become a paraphrase with the footnote number after it?

Yes, the quotation marks remain, and also the footnote number when you upload this source string to Transifex, as you can see in our documentation; When .docx files are uploaded in Transifex, their formatting (styles, images, tables, hyperlinks, headers/footers, etc.) is preserved.

Just be sure to inform your translators to include quotation marks in the translations as well.

Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 12.09.36

Here is how this string would look in a translation file:

Please let me know if this answers your question.

- Sandy