Usability: People requesting languages instead of joining already existing languages

Hi @rakekniven ,

No, the sentence was clear to me :slight_smile: I was just wondering why people think that itā€™s right to request all these languages. Thatā€™s why I said it looks weird to me :blush:

Regarding the description, what I did was add this extra text to the Description field of my projectā€™s settings page. This field is the one exposed to the public page of a project.

Just added your recommended text to the project.

This morning I saw that one person requested 7 (!) spanish languages :interrobang: :thinking:

I just wanted to mention that weā€™ve experienced a similar issue with our project. Weā€™ve seen translators request a variety of a language seemingly without realizing that we already support the language.

For example, we had a user request German (Germany) when we already support German. That user went on to contribute translations for German, which makes me think that they didnā€™t initially realize that we already support German.

As another example, we had two separate users request Swahili (Kenya), and another user requested Swahili (Tanzania); we already support Swahili. I messaged the users asking them whether they had seen that we already support Swahili, but I didnā€™t receive a reply. One of the users went on to contribute translations for Swahili.

We are happy to support multiple varieties of a language where that is needed, but it doesnā€™t seem like all the requests we receive for different varieties are intentional. It takes time to evaluate these requests and to message users (often without reply), so I wanted to mention the experience of our project.

1 Like

Hi @rakekniven , @matthew-white ,

Thank you both for keeping this post updated with your findings.

@rakekniven I truly appreciate you taking the time to try my suggestion :pray: Please let us know how it goes now that you enabled the specific message. If this has any kind of positive impact, it would be helpful to know :slight_smile:

Hello @matthew-white ,

nice you chimed in here. Which project is yours?

Just checked my outbox and only 1 out of 10 persons responded to me after asking why they requested new languages instead of joining existing one.
So I am unable to provide any good feedback about what is wrong with the dialog/UX.

Hi @matthew-white @rakekniven,

We released our new fresh explore page here.

You can read more about this in our docs.

We hope that this improves the experience for your translators eliminating confusion :slight_smile:

Hello @nina ,

I need to revisit this topic. Since 2024 is already here, I just had a look at 2023 and the Nextcloud project had more than 230 (!) requests for project languages. And not one of them was valid or serious.

I wrote to several people to find out why the requests were made.
Unfortunately, I didnā€™t get a reply, as many people had deleted them.

Something doesnā€™t fit here and itā€™s annoying.

Does Transifex have a problem with spammers?

Cheers,
Mark