Usability: People requesting languages instead of joining already existing languages

Hello,

referring to a GitHub isse from 2017 I am raising the thing again because things get weired!

Citing from Usability: People requesting languages instead of joining already existing languages. · Issue #20 · rakekniven/Transifex-Issues · GitHub

Nextcloud project:
90% of the requests are duplicates.

1. User is requesting e.g. French (fr_FR) then discovers there is French already (FR). The user joins existing French team and I have to decline the request
  2. User is requesting e.g. French (fr_FR) and does NOT discover there is French already (FR). I sent a message to the user and pointing him to the French team and decline the request.

So I wonder why there are so many “bad” requests? IMHO Transifex should check the process/workflow/usability of requesting languages.

Update from today:
Had 5 requests for already existing language requests.

Please have a look and improve the UI / workflow.

Will close old GitHub issue and add reference to here.

Cheers,
rakekniven

EDIT: Fixed link

2 Likes

Hi @rakekniven,

We have shared your comments with the rest of the team so that we can see how this can be improved on our side.

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

Hi @rakekniven ,

I am Thanos from the product team.

Τhis kind of feedback is very helpful and much appreciated. Thank you!

An idea we’re testing, is to increase the visibility of the language that already exists inside the drop-down. So when the user is searching for languages to request, she’ll have a clear/better feedback that (FR) has been already added.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this one.

Kind regards,
Thanos

Sounds good.
Has this already been deployed to our instance?

Currently it looks like:
grafik

Cheers

I’m glad to hear it!

It’s actually an improved version of what’s happening in your screenshot, but it’s not implemented to your instance yet, as we’re currently working on it.
We will keep you updated on the progress.

Kind regards,
Thanos

1 Like

Hey @rakekniven
I wanted to let you know that you should be able to see the new implementation in your instance. Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 6.38.50 PM

We’d love to read your feedback about it!

Cheers,
Thanos

2 Likes

Thank you for improving this.
Until yesterday we still had a few requests each week.
For sure I will monitor it and provide feedback.

2 Likes

Hello,

unfortunately there is no real improvements.
Had 17 requests the last 7 days.

I contacted two of them and asked about the issue. They wrote me they had difficulties to understand the dialog …

Please see the log of the Nextcloud project to get an impression.

Hi @rakekniven ,

Thank you for following up on this and letting us know.

We will review this flow again and decide how this can be improved more.

We will keep you posted!

Hello @nina ,

This problem is an ongoing issue.
We have people requesting languages almost every day, only to find out that the language already exists.

Is there any news on this?

Hi @rakekniven ,

I am sorry to hear that the issue still persists :frowning:

Unfortunately, I do not have any new updates to share with you on this.

I updated the ticket in our backlog and we will evaluate further possible solutions to this issue so that we can improve this experience.

We will update this post as soon as new information arises.

Hello @nina ,

every time I login into Transifex, which is very often, I have to deny language requests.
Now we have minimum one request a day.
Is there an option to disable the feature that users can request languages?

I looked at the web UI and searched docs like Editing Project Languages | Transifex Documentation but did not found an option to disable requests.

Thank you for your feedback.

Hi @rakekniven,

Unfortunately, this is not supported but our team is currently evaluating ways to improve the existing behavior.

I will share your feedback with them for further consideration.

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and suggestions.

I will definitely keep you posted!

Best,
Nina

Issue is still open and still there are many requests.
I started to ask new users why they are requesting new languages instead of joining related already existing languages.

One reply:

Hi, thanks for contacting me.

I was trying to join the team for those languages, not requesting new projects. That there was a team already wasn’t obvious. So, yeah, maybe you should look into the new user process. Maybe, first register the languages you’re fluent in, then suggest team based on that

Though it seems like there’s only Norwegian language project, it should be split into two (Nynorsk and Bokmål) as is the standard for software projects.

Mvh
xxxz

rakekniven wrote:

Hello xxx,

You recently requested new languages for the Nextcloud
project.
The project itself already has over 100 languages and
covers a large area.
I saw that you are now a member of one language team.
May I ask what was the reason for your requests?

I ask directly because we often have language requests
and the translators then find their team themselves.
This indicates a not good user experience for new users
on Transifex.

Thank you for your feedback.

Greetings,
Mark

Hi @rakekniven ,

Thank you for sharing this feedback.

Do you know where exactly the confusion is created?

I recorded the flow we currently support here so any feedback is much appreciated.

Best,
Nina

No to be honest.

The user feedback from above requested five language before joining one.

Thank you @rakekniven.

We will evaluate further and decide what’s the best next steps.

In the meantime, any feedback from translators is highly appreciated.

I asked some of the requesters and did not get usable feedback.
Some of them think, that they should select all languages they speak while requesting languages.

Last month we had to reject 17 requests and there was no real valid request for a new language :frowning_face: I am giving up :giveup:.

Hi @rakekniven ,

Hmm, that’s weird (“all languages they speak”)

Thank you for taking the time to share additional information about this.

I will share this with our designers and evaluate it further.

In the meantime, do you think that it could make a difference if you extend the description of your project using something like this:

Hope you understood my english :wink: e. g. if a person added four languages to “My languages” of the user profile the person sometimes is requesting all of these.

I will happily do it. Not sure if this helps. We will see.

Which project description do you think off? The extended one? The normal one only allows a one line input field.